Friday, March 19, 2010

Not so funny this time

I just read The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams while I waited for the clothes in the dryer to dry. Well, I started reading it when I put the clothes in the dryer...now the clothes are waiting for me, because I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.

I am a big fan of HBO's Big Love, so I was looking forward to this book. I didn't really expect it to be anything like an HBO series, but I also didn't expect what I got. I just couldn't stop reading until I was absolutely sure that 13 year old Kyra would escape the compound before she was forced to marry her 60 year old uncle. It was not unlike watching a train wreck--I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and as much as I wanted to look away, I just had to keep reading.

What's more upsetting than the violence and victimization in this book is the knowledge that this happens--perhaps not often, but it does happen. That is terrifying.

And with that in mind, I will need to start another book once I fold the clean clothes waiting for me in the dryer. Sadly, I'm afraid it will still be Kyra--and her mothers, and her sisters--waiting in my dreams tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment