Saturday, May 3, 2014

Time to Talk Books (Again)

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Oh, I don't need to tell you faithful followers of this blog (all three of you) that I have been remiss in my blogging. Very, very, very remiss. (I also probably don't need to tell you that the above excerpt if from Lewiss Carroll's poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter," the full text of which can be found here.) Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

So I'm kicking off my return to blogging with a visual summary of this year's books I've read. (It's 2014 now, btw. It has been a really long time since I've blogged about books.)

I am reminded of how I came to title this blog "Books under the Blanket"--because throughout my childhood, my mother would catch me with a book and a flashlight, hiding under the covers of my bed long after I should have gone to sleep. Although the books I read no longer require a flashlight--in part because I'm old enough now to stay up as late as I want reading, and in part because the reading might now be an ebook or an audiobook--I still have that same passion for books and reading that was a hallmark of my childhood. Thanks to the internet, I've found others who share that passion, and even better: I now am able to share that passion with students, many of whom love books. How lucky am I?

(Oops! Missing from the graphic below is the cover of The Thousand Dollar Tan Line: An Original Veronica Mars Mystery by Rob Thomas. In addition to being a reader, I am a total marshmallow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment