Thursday, August 5, 2010

Re-visiting Salem

Last week I finished The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry. It took me forever to finish because mid-way through the book, my former foster daughter's son arrived to stay with us for a few weeks. Yikes! I'm not sure if it was my own level of distraction as I chased a busy toddler through the house or if it was the book itself, but I found myself struggling to get through it. I know, I know, don't compare one book to another...but I definitely enjoyed Barry's The Lace Reader more.

One thing did not change--Barry's ability to transport her readers to Salem. Wow! Above all else, I loved the feeling that I was there. And although I found the book tedious at times, I did enjoy the theme of history repeating itself.

So, the (belated) July summary:
  1. Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro
  2. The Good Man Jesus and the Scoudrel Christ by Philip Pullman
  3. What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
  4. Little Bee by Chris Cleave
  5. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
  6. The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry
I also read Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov, which I won't review here because it's not of interest to anyone who is not a teacher (although I will say that I really liked it!), and I re-read Heroes by Robert Cormier with my summer school classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment