Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Hole We're In

The title of the book I just finished seemed a reasonable title for its corresponding blog; don't we all spend our lives in (and out) of holes? (And, as Gabrielle Zevin wisely observes, we all end up in the ultimate hole at the end of our lives...)

I was so excited to read the newest book by the author of Elsewhere, which is easily my all-time favorite. This book was not nearly so beautifully crafted--in fact, each section seemed almost as though it could have been written by an entirely different author. But the questions it raises are certainly haunting, and it shines a much-needed light on the lifestyle we live and the choices we make.

I am not sure that I would have kept reading this book if it had not been written by a beloved author, but I am certainly glad that I did. In the end, it is one of the most personally affecting books I have read this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment