Sunday, January 3, 2010

Two down, 198 to go...

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, but the Julian calendar does give us a nice tidy way to keep track of a year. I think I read about 200 books a year; this year, I'm counting.

Today was a good day to lie in bed and read. I had a rotten sinus headache, so anything that involved movement or noise was not ideal. I must say, as much as I hate to have a headache, it is awfully hard to be too upset at spending a day under the blanket with a book: today's was Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

The book came highly recommended, and for the first half or so, I believed it had earned well-earned praise from all those who recommended it to me. But as it progressed, it stopped being a literary creme brulee and turned into a literary pudding--still sweet and delicious, but not nearly so rich and decadent. Still, a good read, and a great adventure for a snowy, headachey Sunday in bed.

Now comes the confession. I started reading this book as a book...you know, two hard covers with real paper pages in between them, and a dustjacket that doubles as a bookmark...the kind of book I waxed nostalgic about reading just a few short days ago. Then I got a Kindle for Christmas, and I discovered how wonderful it is to snuggle down in bed with the blankets pulled up to my neck and only one hand poking out from under the covers to hold the Kindle. No propping up pillows, nor begging Hannah to borrow her Snuggie; I can lie on my side, tucked in (almost) completely, and read. So despite owning the book, despite being careful with money...I purchased Beautiful Creatures on my Kindle early this morning, and finished the book electronically. It was worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment