Friday, August 26, 2011

Retelling an Epic

I've just finished a galley of Gil Marsh by A.C.E. Bauer, and I loved it. This YA retelling of the Epic of Gilgamesh maintains the "feel" of an ancient epic but is written with references to time and place that will resonate with today's teenagers. Although it is written in third person, the reader will absolutely see the story through Gil's eyes, and what a story it is! The book did raise some questions for me, but as I can't ask them without giving away too much, so I will save them for the book's publication in February 2012.

I also recently finished The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman, which I started and read most of almost a year ago! One thing led to another and the book made it's way out of my reading pile, but I am glad I finished it. It's the perfect book for boys who are too cool to read books, and they might even learn something about friendship (accidentally, of course) if they read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment