Saturday, November 27, 2010

All Good Things Must Come to an End

I just realized as I was typing the title for this blog that it's rather an ironic choice: I was thinking that at the end of his wonderfully clever Bartimeus Trilogy, Jonathan Stroud should have bid adieu to our favorite djinni and been done with him. However, the title might suggest that the recent addition to the series, The Ring of Solomon: A Bartimeus Novel, was good. And that would not be completely true.

Oh, it was not terrible, but it just didn't have the spunk and charm of the original trilogy. So much so that it took me f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to finish reading it. I normally finish a 400-page book in a matter of days...this one took two weeks! I kept falling asleep while reading it, or finding other things to do instead of read.

So next I will choose a book (or two) that I know I won't be able to set down once I begin. I'm thinking Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick, because my students can't stop talking about it! Oh, it won't be high literature, but I'll settle for something that keeps me turning the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment