Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The best things in life...

Choosing the next book to read is easy when you can read it free! (OK, I know, there's the library, which is free, but...this did not require leaving my armchair!) What book did I read for the low price of free, you wonder? The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer, available free for a limited time.

It was an entertaining read, like most Twilight books, but certainly not high literature. My daughter complained that she felt like Meyer only writes in one voice--the book felt like Bella was still narrating. I was not bothered by that (although I am awfully proud to have such a discerning reader); I just felt like it was "typical Twilight."

I finished at school and needed a book while giving a test this afternoon, so I grabbed Three Witches from a pile near my desk. Speaking of typical, it's a very interesting take on the high-school-girl-coven genre in that the first character we meet is a Muslim girl following her old aunt's advice to summon a jinn...

No comments:

Post a Comment